
Things like to be measured. Things crave to be level. Things are like that.
Dawn recently got an IR thermometer for her birthday. Ostensibly, to be used for chocolate making, as soon as I saw her unwrap it I was making a mental list of things I’ve always wanted to know the surface temperature of.
Our house has a digital thermostat. Last night, when I commented that the house felt warm, she asked if I wanted to double check the thermostat. I responded that I was sure it was probably set correctly and I was just crazy. She revealed she had already used her new IR thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the thermostat’s housing to see if it matched the thermostat’s reading. It had. Then she listed off a handful of other things around the house that she had already measured. Oh yes, stick a scientist and an engineer in a house and this is pillow-talk.
My refrigerator has always bothered me. It has and LED display on front that shows two different temperature readings. One is the air temperature of the kitchen. We sometimes used that one (before we had an IR thermometer) to double check to see if the house thermostat was lying to us. When we bought the refrigerator I had assumed the other temperature reading would be the air temperature inside the fridge. I had visions of all sorts of little experiments I could have run with that. I could have seen how much the interior temperature of the fridge dropped when the door was opened. I could have seen how adding warm mass to the fridge’s contents would have driven the temperature up. Oh, I had big plans. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that the second reading was simply the desired temperature the interior was set to…. How useless. How uninteresting. I know what it suppose to be set to….I set it.
Dawn recently got an IR thermometer for her birthday. Ostensibly, to be used for chocolate making, as soon as I saw her unwrap it I was making a mental list of things I’ve always wanted to know the surface temperature of.
Our house has a digital thermostat. Last night, when I commented that the house felt warm, she asked if I wanted to double check the thermostat. I responded that I was sure it was probably set correctly and I was just crazy. She revealed she had already used her new IR thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the thermostat’s housing to see if it matched the thermostat’s reading. It had. Then she listed off a handful of other things around the house that she had already measured. Oh yes, stick a scientist and an engineer in a house and this is pillow-talk.
My refrigerator has always bothered me. It has and LED display on front that shows two different temperature readings. One is the air temperature of the kitchen. We sometimes used that one (before we had an IR thermometer) to double check to see if the house thermostat was lying to us. When we bought the refrigerator I had assumed the other temperature reading would be the air temperature inside the fridge. I had visions of all sorts of little experiments I could have run with that. I could have seen how much the interior temperature of the fridge dropped when the door was opened. I could have seen how adding warm mass to the fridge’s contents would have driven the temperature up. Oh, I had big plans. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that the second reading was simply the desired temperature the interior was set to…. How useless. How uninteresting. I know what it suppose to be set to….I set it.
5 comments:
So wait....what was the temperature of your fridge? Did it match the reading? I have to know!
What is Riblet's temp?
Where is Bill, and what have you done with him? Sure, you sound like Mr. Saturday, but this blog is far too well edited.
How hot does your cast iron get?
The temperature was 1/2 a degree lower on the back wall and exactly the preset on the bottom. The freezer was also correct.
You damn people are filling up my google reader with science!
Post a Comment