Friday, September 26, 2008

Let's not try and make the debates hip

So the debates are definitely on for tonight. An odd thing I noticed is that NPR has suggested a debate drinking game. I don’t think I’ll play it. I can’t think of a beverage this would be suitable for:

Take on drink:
  • Every time Barack Obama says, "Now look..."
  • Every time John McCain says, "My friends..."
  • When a commentator refers to someone as a "maverick"
  • Every time you hear the phrase "the American dream"
  • Whenever you hear the words "hope" or "ownership society" or "fellow Americans"

Take two drinks:

  • When one of the candidates uses the word "change" or "reformer"
  • Every time either candidate says the word "economy"
  • Every time either candidate says "middle class"

Egads! This isn’t far removed from just saying take a drink whenever you see someone wearing a suit.

The stinger is they end the bit with “Above all, drink responsibly.” I don’t think it would be responsible of me to even try and attempt this with water.

No comments: