Monday, October 27, 2008

Head in the Clouds

I know what I want from a cell phone. Here’s a hint – iPhone it is not. Not that I’m knocking iPhone, it’s just that I dream bigger….and I don’t care how touch screeny a device is.

I want a cell phone connected to a cloud.

For explanatory purposes I’m going to describe my ideal cell phone tied into Google technology…because it’s a popular cloud that we all know and love.

My ideal cell phone would access the exact same dataset that my Google Gmail account and Google Calendar access. If I update my contact or calendar information while using my desktop in a web browser - then I want that new information to be instantly available on my cell phone. I don’t want to have to sync it – I want to reference the exact information so that there is only one authoritative version.

I want my ideal cell phone to have biometric capabilities. I want to unlock it by placing my finger on it. When I place my finger on my phone the phone knows I’m holding it and I can get to all my contact information. If someone else has my phone, ideally they won’t have my finger, and they will not be able to access any of my personal contact/calendar information.

If I give my phone to someone else they should be able to put their finger on it and the phone will go out to the cloud and retrieve their information. By decoupling the information from the phone anyone’s phone will be exactly like your phone. Pick up anyone’s phone, scan your finger and your calendar and contact information will be there. Give it back to them and it’s their phone again. Imagine how handy that would be. You’ll never be without all your information.

Eventually the cloud will hold more information than just contact and calendar information. It will hold files, music, media, etc. All of it sitting there just waiting for you to access it. The only real differentiator between phones will be what methods of inputs they offer and how much viewing surface you get. The phone will be reduced to simple input and output. What it inputs and outputs will not be the concern of the cell phone company.

I wonder how long I’ll have to wait?

2 comments:

vo0do0chile said...

that's brilliant

Andrea said...

I would settle for a phone that can make it through the spin cycle and still work ... which reminds me, I need you and Dawn's phone numbers again ... since stupid Samsung doesn't make a waterproof phone ...

Andrea