Dawn and I conducted a mission to Indiana last weekend. The logistics of the mission were such that we spent some time in our old stomping grounds of Lafayette. It was pretty trippy going back to Lafayette. It wasn’t all that long ago that we lived there and my old routines are still fresh enough to feel like I could fall back into them.
One of the things that I miss about Lafayette is its pubs. Lafayette knows a thing or two about pubs. There were easily four good pubs that were an easy walking distance from our hotel. We probably could have walked to an additional four or five pubs if we had the mind to. These are authentic locally owned joints too. I’m not talking about some cooperate chain that pretend to be a local neighborhood pub.
While there we were able to visit the Lafayette Brewing Company and get fish and chips. I’ve done a decent amount of traveling in my life and tried fish and chips in a number of places. For my money Lafayette Brewing Company has the best fish and chips I’ve come across yet (hang your head in shame Ireland). I routinely crave their fish and chips so this weekend it was such a treat to actually indulge the craving.
Apart from fish and chips the Lafayette Brewing Company just does pub food (aka fried food) right. We also had scotched eggs (hardboiled eggs encased in sausage and deep fried) and jalapeƱo potato munchers while there. Simply divine.
Did I mention that it is a brewing company? The beer was very good. I miss living in a state that has microbreweries.
Try as we did, we didn’t even get a chance to sample to new pubs on the other side of the river. There is a scotch bar and an Irish bar that have opened up in West Lafayette since we lived there. We got good reviews but ran out of time before we were able to go and judge for ourselves. Perhaps we’ll make them priorities next time should we be assigned another mission to Lafayette.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear readers, he is using the royal we as his good reviews on the scotch bar and the new Irish pub are from me after my visit last summer.
Post a Comment