Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mission Photos

I recently got a new cell phone. My old one was, well old, and I wanted to upgrade to something a bit more modern. It had been so long since I last bought a new cell phone that Verizon Wireless had been sending me offers near constantly trying to entice me into signing another contract with them by offering phone discounts. I ended up going with an enV2 which only cost me $5 dollars all said and done. The really surprising thing is my experience dealing with Verizon Wireless this time out wasn’t the abusive painful ordeal I’ve come to expect from their customer service. It was in fact almost pleasant. I wonder if they have been making a concerted effort to improve their customer service or if I just so happen to win the Verizon Wireless customer service lottery. Time will tell.

Anywho, one of the features of my new phone is an improved built in camera. While we were on our mission to Indiana I decided to try it out. This first shot was taken sometime after 9:00 pm on our drive up. Dawn was driving and complaining about Indiana being in the Eastern Time Zone. When we used to live there they didn’t observe daylight savings time and were kind of in between time zones, now they are firmly planted in EST. As a result of being on the same time as NYC, but being in the Midwest, they have sun until 9:30 or so in the summer now. I believe her complaint about sunlight after 9:00 pm (which is by Dawn standards is very near bed time) was “this is some Article Circle bullcrap right here.” But she didn’t exactly say bullcrap.


This next shot if from our lunch the following day at the Lafayette Brewing Company. It’s a plate of scotched eggs. I’m pretty sure if Dawn got to rule the world it would be standard issue breakfast food…with perhaps a fried egg served over it. (My hunch is many of you are disgusted by the suggestion of serving fried eggs over hard-boiled eggs sheathed in sausage and deep fried…but some of you are probably already salivating.)


Finally, this last shot is of a beer bottle I spotted while perusing a West Lafayette bottle shop. Alabama restricts the sale of beers over a certain number of fluid ounces. I think the idea is to protect the population from 40 ounce bottles of malt liquor, but we are also deprived of many artisanal beers as a side effect. Here is a 3 quart bottle of Chimay, which is something we’d never see in Alabama. By Alabama logic, if we were to allow sale of such an item, under age high school kids who crave Belgian beers would run out and buy the $77 bottle of beer just to get stinking drunk.


No comments: