I think Steven Levitt and I have a very similar philosophy when it comes to dealing with sales people. Please don’t make us. Dawn will attest that I rather sit there and stare at an item for a good thirty minutes in an effort to glean what information I desire from some unspecified cosmic source before I dare interact with the item, or worse, a sales person.
On the Freakonomics blog Steven discusses how even ordering food over the phone is a distasteful act of human interaction best pawned off on other people. I couldn’t agree more. I’ve often been stuck in an agonizing the three-way dilemma where I have to decide which factor has the greatest influence: my desire to avoid to ordering food on the phone, my hunger, and my willingness to piss off other people in the room who expect me to take some sort of action. (Hint: I always see if I can wait them out).
Steven also reports that Dominos lets you order your pizza on the web and then you get to track it every step of the way to your door. It even tells you if your pizza is in their pizza oven and who put it there!?!? How cool is that! I love tracking things on the internet. I have a DHL package I’ve been tracking all day. Its current status is "Shipment delivered" and I bet that won’t even stop me from tacking it some more. Think how interesting it would be if the status actually changed…
So perhaps Dominos has turned one of my least favorite things to do into one of my most favorite things to do. I’ll be interested to try this new service out. I still can’t help and wonder if they really ought to be wasting their time trying to impress me. I would have guessed that neurotic misanthropic introvert would have been a niche market. Not that I’m complaining.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment