We’ve all been there. Sitting around, extolling the virtues of Meat Muffins with our friends. The Meat Muffin, the progeny of butcher and baker, vanguard of the breakfast fusion cuisine paradigm. I’ve never even laid an eye on one.That doesn’t stop me acknowledging their greatness. Their appeal is obvious. As an amateur chef, what can I do to compete with such a breakfast juggernaut? “We could slice one up and use it to make French-toast.” Did I just say that out loud? Oh my, I must have, all eyes at the table are upon me. I must work on that inner-monologue thing.
Will they think me a breakfast savant or a raving madman? Have I just committed an act of blasphemy towards their greasy muffin god? Time slowly ticks by.
Eventually the man with sausage hands clears his throat. “We’ll stop by the grocery store on the way home.”
That’s how I ended up making Meat Muffin French-toast. The recounting of events might be a tad melodramatic, but that’s essentially what happened. I was on the hook to produce a Meat Muffin and then make it into French-toast.
Being we had a busy day planned, making the Meat Muffin from scratch wasn’t an option. So I opted to use a muffin mix. I remember there being a pretty good blueberry muffin mix in which the blueberries came in a separate can. I thought that would be the perfect candidate because, if I left out the blueberries of the blueberry muffin mix, I would have simply have muffins, to which I could then add meat. The mental calculus looks like this:
Blueberry Muffin – Blueberry = Muffins + Meat = Meat Muffin.
I decided to use maple breakfast sausage for the meat. It seemed like a safe bet for my inaugural Meat Muffin effort.
So I chopped up the sausage links into what I considered the correct Meat Muffin sized pieces and browned them. As they cooled I padded them down with paper towels to removed extra grease. I mixed up the muffin mix. Here is the key step. Where it told me to fold in the blueberries I pulled a switcheroo and folded in sausage bits. A quick trip to the oven and Meat Muffins are born.
From there it was easy. Slice the Meat Muffins into medallions, dip into French-toast batter and pan fry in a bit of butter. Since today is special, today is the day when we first get to eat Meat Muffin French-toast, a celebration is in order. Better make a fried egg for everyone.
How is my creation received? It’s nice to know that years later I still make Dawn weak in the knees…..
6 comments:
To be fair, I believe we all swooned over the Meat Muffin French-toast.
WHERE did this happen and WHY wasn't I invited? I expect a repeat performance.
By the way, did you ever put your two cents into Greg and David's corn dog/fried hamburger quandry?
Meat Muffin's yum. I have been trying all sorts of different muffin recipes as i use up the left over fruit and veggies in the fridge... and you just up my zucchini, chedder dill muffins (okay used to be a bread recipe) ... wouldn't sausage be fantastic in them!!!
I vaguely remember the deep fried hamburger. I don't trust it.
How do I add the 15 condiments I normally add to hambugers? Plus, I'm a corn dog aficionado. Let's spend our time dipping exotic sausages into corn dog batter.
I like that as you were serving them, you asked "Who wants a fried egg?"
In the circles I travel, I find the answer to that question is always an enthusiastic "I do!"
Plus I think it is a requirement in the "proper care and keeping of a Dawn." I forget exactly what happens if they don't get their fried eggs. I assume it's Ragnarök or something equally distasteful.
Post a Comment