Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What planet do you simmer on!?!?

They are lies. The reasons for our complicity, for our acceptance, I’ll never know. Usually there would be outrage, there would be anger, there would be demiglace spilled in the streets, and we’d band together and collectively demand that they change their evil ways.

Is there some sort of authority that we can turn to? Some sort of organization that we can reasonably expect to punish the wicked and dole out recompense to the victims?

No, I suppose not. Recipe writers will be able to continue spinning their web of deceit. No one can stop them.

I do know this though. Every time I encounter a recipe that suggests that I simply have to reduce a liquid to a syrup or a concentration or a reduction, and said reduction should take about 10 minutes. That is a damnable lie.

It never takes 10 minutes. It is an hour long task my friend.

Maybe they lie in order to keep us trying their recipes. Practically no one would attempt a recipe with an hour long reduction time step in the middle of it. They especially couldn’t pass that recipe as one of the popular “quick weekend night meals” variety.

Or perhaps, in their dark recipe writing lairs, physics works differently and 4 cups of liquid actually does reduce down to half a cup in a mere five minutes.

1 comment:

Griner said...

I always like when they slip it into a long list of steps:

15. Dice the parsley, fennel, celery, mushrooms and mungbeans and add to lemon butter broth mixture.

16. Reduce sauce by half.

17. Serve over game hens!