The class is a logics in computer science class. I’m not much of a logistician, so the class makes my brain water and my thoughts itch. I keep reworking sections of the project over and over again because I decide that they’re just the equivalent of logical babbling. So after a weekend of solid effort I have surprising little to show for it. Not good.
Dawn and I went to see the new Harry Potter movie. I hate movie theaters, so I only will consent to going to two movies in the theater each year. Dawn must choose her movies carefully each year. Harry Potter was a good choice. The movie is arguably much better than the fifth book, mostly because it edits all the annoying crap out of the fifth book. The theater on the other hand was dreadful as always. In fact I’m prepared to say it was worse than normal, perhaps I’m becoming even less tolerant of movie theaters.
So when I finally got to bed last night, after a weekend of working like crazy on a project without making much headway and Harry Potter, my brain had a little treat in store for me. Instead of peaceful sleep or the normal nonsensical dreams that I usually experience it had put together a special little torture. In the theater of my mind I was forced to solve, or attempt to solve, a logic problem….all freaking night. Evidently there is a problem with the flue network in Harry Potter land. My brain tasked me to build a logic model of the flue network that we could run automatic analysis on. It is important that each node in the flue network be able to reach every other node. The problem is complicated due to certain one-way node transitions. Also, degenerative cases where a flue node resulted in transport to itself should be avoided.Much like my real project I didn’t make much headway….but I woke up even more exacerbated than when I went to bed. I’m glad we already have dinner plans for this evening; I don’t think I could stand to go home and start working on that damn thing again…
4 comments:
I think it's less tolerance on your part. The Carmike was cleaner cleaner and less crowded than the Rave we saw our last movie in and it managed to be a comfortable temperature. And unlike HP4, nobody in our showing brought a fucking baby.
It was worse in that, while the show time now means the time pre-show commercials and previews start, even those didn't start until 5 minutes after the show time and there wasn't any trivia.
I'm glad Greg's not the only person with the movie theater hatred. I'm more tolerant, but don't like it enough to go very often.
Was HP the first or second movie of the year?
I agree with your assessment of HP5. Edited very well to take my least favorite book and make it (second to HP3) one of the best movies. I also hate theaters but our was quite nice and I had Griner to comment on all the commercials making them much more interesting. My only sleepless night after a movie involving logic was trying to problem solve where I would go in a zombie attack after Dawn of the Dead (I claim Walgreens). Harry Potter didn't really inspire the problem solver in me. I wonder what plot line your subconsious decided was illogical?
HP was the first movie for this year. I hear Stardust is the second.
I doubt anything about HP was illogical. In fact the flue networks, as portrayed in the movie, seemed very efficient. No, my problem is figuring out how to include set theoretic into first order logic and my evil brain just used Harry Potter as a convenient problem domain to continue working on the problem…while I was trying to sleep.
Post a Comment