I assume everyone suffers from a suspension of logical consequences when they dream. It really bothers me. I hate it that I am subjected to some strange set of rules that seems correct when I am dreaming…only to wake up and reflect on the dream and be at a loss. Why don’t real life rules apply to dreamland?For instance, last night I dreamt that our next door neighbors put their house up for sale. [This is likely to happen in the next year.] They sold their house….but in dreamland that meant that Dawn and I had to move into their house and the people that bought their house had to move into ours… what the frick!?! In dreamland the buy-and-swap real estate market seemed to make perfect sense. It was normal and natural. Reflecting back on the dream while conscious I can only conclude that I’m a complete moron in my subconscious.
The dream wasn’t a good dream. Dawn and I weren’t happy in our neighbor’s house and were upset that we were forced to move there by virtue of their sell. Damn you crazy dreamland real estate social conventions. The plumbing was all messed up in the house and the shower was crappy. I distinctly remember be very unsatisfied with their wonky shower. In the dream the shower was operated with a giant lever that got stuck…it could only have been constructed by the Rube Goldberg school of plumbers.
What’s worse was what the new people were doing to the house that Dawn and I currently have. We’ve worked pretty hard fixing up our house in the last two years and the new people were systematically undoing all our hard work. They tore down the fence, put in garish wallpaper, and threw trash in the yard. The height of terror in my dream was when Dawn and I looked out the back window and saw that the new neighbors had constructed this horrendous playset for their kids. It was made out of all sorts of timber and metal and looked like a small building had collapsed….at the top was a red vinyl tent. I remember the red vinyl tent being the last straw…that was the point when social conventions couldn’t make me tolerate the house swap any longer. I was about to go into action.
I have no idea what I was going to do about the situation, thankfully I woke up. Looking back, the dream makes angry. How could I fall for such a stupid premise? Why didn’t I just reject it and move onto the next random dream thought. What can’t my dreams make more sense? That pisses me off even further. It was a dumb dream, but the fact that it angers me while awake seems to make it more powerful than any stupid nightmare. Those only affect you while you’re sleeping; they have no relevance while awake. I was angry in my dream and now I’m angry while I’m awake…. Stupid dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment