I found this interesting tidbit of an article while I was doing some Project Runway research yesterday. It’s a synopsis of an appearance that Tim Gunn made for his book ‘Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style’ at the Baltimore Book Festival.One of the things Tim mentions is the fact that Bravo wanted to give him a TV Show….but had no idea what that show would be. When Bravo found out that he was working on a book they pounced on the project as a catalyst for his show. So surprise, surprise, his show wasn’t conceived as an idea for interesting and captivating television but was a book idea twisted into a TV show just to make a TV show happen. Who would have thunk?
Actually the most recent episode of his show wasn’t as awful as some of the earlier ones. I suppose there is still hope that the show may evolve into an interesting format over time. They ditched the cheap and contrived “it’s a surprise” element…. Now they just need to ditch the “here’s a twenty minute interaction with a pseudo-celebrity that will be a life transforming experience” element.
At the appearance Tim also went on to talk about this season of Project Runway, namely the judges. I’ll let Tim take it away. Don’t worry there are no spoilers…unless you consider the fact that a male designer wins one of the challenges to be a serious spoiler.
"If I'm correct, I think you're going to get angry every time you see the show. You're going to get angry at the judges because... I don't know what they were smoking this season."
“"There was one case in particular where I said to the producers [...] 'It's really too bad that so-and-so's design is so terrible, because the audience will know right away. The minute they see this, they're going to know that he's going home. And I'm just sorry that something else isn't almost as bad, almost as challenged. Everything else looks really good!... He wins the challenge. He wins! It's inconceivable. So I went backstage to tell the designer who was out that he or she had to go home, and I turned to him and I said, 'And you know, I'm stunned and shocked that you won this challenge' and he said, 'Well, no one's more surprised than I am.'"
No comments:
Post a Comment