Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bookcase Update

One of the things I did over the holidays is spend a considerable amount of time working on my bookcase project. After spending a few days in the garage working on the bookcases I got them to the point where three out of four sections of the bookcase are ready to stain. I plan to install the bookcases in four sections. The first section will be the four foot by eight foot framework that consists of the major shelves. Then inside the major framework three smaller sections stack upon one and another Tetris style.

I’ve completed building the major framework and the bottom and middle interior sections. Those three pieces are ready to stain. I’ve made considerable progress on the last section. I have most of the subcomponents for it already built. I have decided to postpone connecting all of the fourth section’s subcomponents until I have the first three sections installed. That way I can take measurements of the space left for the last section and make sure that it will actually fit!

This last weekend Dawn and I actually stained the first section. It’s currently sitting in our garage awaiting transfer to Dawn’s library. We went with a dark wood stain (Bombay Mahogany or something like that). It looks awesome. Once I get the first section installed we’ll be able to stain the second and third sections at the same time. I can actually see the finish line on the bookcase project. There still some work to be done, but man, does it feel good to feel like I’m actually making progress on that project.

No comments: