I caught an interesting interview on The Daily Show (er…I mean A Daily Show) this Tuesday. The guest was a guy by the name of Jim Wallis who was there to pimp his new book “The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith & Politics in a Post-Religious Right America.” It was late a bit late so I’m not 100% sure what all they talked about or even what the guest’s actual stance was, but yesterday I was left with the following impression of what Jim was trying to say. Morality should not be dictated by religion, but instead, religion should conform to morality.
I was driving around yesterday and all of a sudden it struck me how concise a message that is. It just sort of crystallized into a concentrated little mental sound bite. Again, I’m not 100% sure that exactly what the guest said. I could go back and watch the interview again, but I’m not sure what the point would be. If he didn’t say that - then he should have. I think most rational people can get behind that sentiment whether they are religious or not.
Sure it shifts the burden of establishing morality from reading it from a handbook to having to sit down and hash out the pros and cons of any action. Actual thinking may even be involved. I think I prefer that method of establishing morality to defining hatred, discrimination, or some other base act as moral because you found it written in a book.
That is all.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment