Friday, January 18, 2008

Props to Project Runway

I meant to post this yesterday but was too busy. I wanted to give props to Project Runway. I think this week’s episode was one of the best that they’ve had this season. I thought all the designers did a really good job generating a lot of interesting work in a very short time frame. In short, it’s the type of episode that originally sold me on Project Runway in the first place.

I did have one small issue to take up with Victorya and Jillian. At the beginning of the challenge it showed the two of them arguing over who got to be team leader. First off, I don’t understand why anyone would ever want to be team leader in a reality show. The risk of getting eliminated is instantly multiplied because you get held accountable for whatever someone on your team does. The people on your team know that you’ll be held accountable…so if they aren’t threatening to eliminate the whole team I suspect their incentive to do their very best might be questionable. After all it’s probably not their butt on the line. So I wasn’t sure why Victorya and Jillian were fighting over who got to be team leader (perhaps they have some of that artistic integrity I’ve heard about and really wanted to realize their visions).

When the show reminded me that Victorya had immunity then I was even more flabbergasted. Why was there an argument at all? I imagine that the initial team planning should have gone something like this: Do we both want to be guaranteed to get to the next round? Yes? Good. Victorya you be team leader because you’ve got immunity. We’ll work really hard on your concept so that if the judges are snorting bezaddler stones or freebasing bobbin lint then I can claim that I was implement the team’s vision and being a good team player. I’ll be safe. You’ll be immune. We both get a guaranteed by.

No comments: