Last night our neighbors invited us over for dinner, which was especially convenient because we were just getting back from Birmingham and didn’t have to figure out what we were going to eat. After eating at their place (and drinking a bottle or two of wine) we then headed back to our place so they could try out Rock Band.
[This is the same family that went out and bought Guitar Hero right after they played the original at our house…so we were pretty confident that they would appreciate Rock Band.]
We got everything set up and they started to rock out. During the second or third song we were playing their son (~ 11 years old) failed out. Dawn turned to him and asked if he had bumped the difficulty up to medium. He shook his head no….he wasn’t playing on medium. He’d been playing on expert. He got about 85% through the song. My jaw hit the floor. Expert!?! I said something to the extent that I could only do some of the songs on hard. I’m not sure if he was looking at me with contempt or with pity but he declared that “if you aren’t playing on hard or expert then you aren’t having any fun.”
Fortunately Rock Band comes with a drum kit to help humble Guitar Hero savants. I spent the rest of the evening pointing out that he was forgetting to press the kick drum as he struggled through songs on easy (I can play most everything on medium!) Of course that is only a temporary fix. If they actually go out and buy Rock Band it’s only a matter of time before he comes over and plays everything on expert. I can hardly wait for him to wryly point out that he hasn’t seen my band on the Rock Band leader boards. I’m sure I’ll be able to see his at the number 3 spot.
Postscript
Not to be out done by a mere child Dawn decided to show them tough. She proceeded to play Tom Sawyer on drums while singing, both were set to medium. She finished with the drum score in the 90s…
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment