Friday, January 18, 2008

This little piggy got frozen and snapped off.

This was supposed to be the weekend I got tons of stuff done. Basically it was going to be the last weekend at home before I was sucked into the maw of the semester and spit out sometime in May. I was planning to build shelves in the garage and finish staining two more parts of Dawn’s bookshelves. So much planned productivity.

Then I saw the weather forecast for this weekend. The highs are in the thirties. Hmm… working in the garage while it’s in the thirties doesn’t not seem very ideal. I’m not sure how well the shelves will take the stain if they’re at near freezing temperatures. I’m not sure how well my fingers will take to manipulating power tools if I can’t feel them.

I guess we’ll see how bad the weather really is. North Alabama has been known to predict winter Armageddon before without any serious weather event occurring. I think it gives the local news stations some sense of relevance. Did I mention that they’re also predicting an inch of snow tomorrow? I bet it will be the worst inch of snow in history. The inch that killed. Women will openly weep and men will gnash their teeth as the thin blanket of snow suffocates the land. Perhaps I should go back to ignoring the local news.

Maybe the weather won’t be that bad. Maybe I’ll man up and go out and buy some work gloves (to keep my delicate fingers warm) and get the job done anyway. Or maybe I’ll spend the weekend working on class work (I already have homework and a project I could be making progress on). Or perhaps, as Dawn suggested, I could spend the last free long weekend of the spring “drinking scotch and playing Rockband by the fire.”

No comments: