Friday, March 14, 2008

Beat a horse to death, reanimated it, beat it down again.

Another column update? Yes, yes it is. I don’t have a lot of other material to work with right now. Do you want to learn about structural induction of sequences? (I suggest that you shake your head and back away). Alright then, column updates it is.

When I pulled into the driveway last night I waved to our neighbors on the right. They have also recently put their house on the market. Dawn and I must be horrible neighbors because now both of our neighbors are trying to move away. Their departure is a predicament that I am less than thrilled about. We liked both our neighbors and considered ourselves lucky to have two good neighbors. Now we have to roll the dice and see what moves in next.

Anyway, our neighbor was talking to another guy I didn’t recognized. As I was pulling up the driveway I noticed that this other guy disengaged from conversation with our neighbor and started to walk towards our house. As I pulled into the garage I noticed he was following my car…..and he was walking into my garage. Being a paranoid person, I instinctively looked for the something to club him with. In my mind strange people following me into my house equals trouble. I noticed a nice heave tool just outside my car door. I could pop the door open, grab it, and bludgeon the interloper if he didn’t have a really good reason for following me.

Fortunately (for him) he quickly introduced himself as our roof/column contractor. It turns out that our neighbors were discussing getting a new roof with him and he stopped by to talk about our columns. To his credit he seemed very embarrassed while standing in front of our mismatched columns. He said he had no idea how a carpenter could leave the job site thinking that this would be acceptable and apologized repeatedly. I guess since we are a source of referrals we’ve been bumped up on the important jobs to finish list.

So now our columns are supposed to be finished within a week. I’m opting not to hold my breath because I’ve heard that before. They were actually supposed to start today, weather permitting. It’s been raining all morning, so I think it’s safe to say that the weather is not permitting. Perhaps this three month debacle will actually come to an amenable conclusion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm really wanting to see pictures of the crazy columns. Also, someone I didn't recognize following me into my garage would really freak me out. I'd probably be debating attempting how I could use our really old or really wussy dogs to scare them off.