Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Is there an ichthyolocial haberdasher in the house?

I owe a big hat tip to the presurfer blog. That’s where I saw a link to the art work of Brian Despain. Brian Despain makes art that I like. I don’t think I ask for much from an artist, lovingly rendered robots, ichthyological surrealism, and an occasional cephalopod thrown into spice things up. Brian Despain delivers in spades.

I’m having a hard time picking a favorite piece. I’m partial to The Stranger….but I think it’s because I have a predilection towards tophats.


Due to some strange synchronicity of the universe he has painting featuring a robot and octopus enthralled by a red spot. I too am currently enthralled by red spots. I wonder if I’m the robot or the octopus? There’s a windmill in the background that I choose to interpret as a giant. I think I understand the obstacles that these two will face. I can connect with them on a deep emotional level….


If I could buy a piece of his artwork and hang it in my house today, I think I would have to go with the clockwork fish. The color palate would work well in our family room and I am rather taken to it.


Of course I don’t think that piece is actually for sale. Which is a pity.

However if I were decorating some room on a robot theme….for a child…like say a nursery… I would be tempted to try and acquire some uplifting piece of robot art. I think a robot/humming bird piece would work well.


If that were the case then I’d be in luck, because prints of that particular piece actually are for sell.

2 comments:

Griner said...

That is a pretty awesome robot. The $300 price tag is a bit steep at the moment, but I hear I qualify for all sorts of new tax breaks these days...

I love the octopus, or as I like to call it, "Mechathulhu."

Did you get to see Jamey's door decoration from the hospital?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/griner/2298116593/sizes/l/

It was awesome, especially when I would come back from an errand to find five nurses crowded around our door trying to decipher it.

Unknown said...

Nice work. I guess this would be the New Surrealism? I dunno if that's the proper name, but I'm an artist and I forge my own movements. Or, in this case, someone else's.