For example, imagine that common household tasks rewarded you akin to a video game. Take food preparation. Let’s say in the course of preparing dinners you’ve just cut your 100th onion, you just unlocked a new knife. Cool! The new knife has reassuring weight and balance and is obviously sharper than your old knife….man, cutting onions is going to be much easier now….which is good. Because you won’t unlock another new knife until you’ve mise en placed your 500th onion.
Heck, if the kitchen gave away cutlery like that there would be a pile of chopped onions in our sink. I would totally munchkin that up.
Or perhaps you would receive upgrades to your vacuum cleaner as you repeatedly vacuum your house. I dunno, new accessories or something. You’d probably have to check the household FAQ to figure out what you’d get. All I know is that I would rig it so the vacuum would run 24 hours a day until I got the ultimate vacuum unlock…..mega-suction capable of vacuuming up not just cat fur but actually the whole cat!
I guess what we were getting at is how much more enjoyable common household chores might be if there was always the possibility that this repetition might be some nice big round number of times this chore has been performed and you might be rewarded with a prize.
For the rest of the weekend Dawn kept rewarding me with items as I “unlocked” various achievements around the house. I completed the dishes and unlocked a cooking magazine that just-so-happened to be sitting on the counter by her. Most of the unlocks were a bit uninspiring, but there’s definitely some video precedence for that as well. However, I did noticed that she unlocked some "consuming a meal" achievement and was rewarded with a fudge-pop. I’m starting to wonder if the system is rigged.
3 comments:
Have you ever checked out Chore Wars? It basically took that idea to its logical extreme.
http://www.chorewars.com/
It's by the guy who designed the zombie game I play. It seems like it's mostly a way to motivate slacker roommates, but I haven't really spent much time playing with it.
I'm tempted to figure out how to make that work for around the office. Use it as a open task scheduler or something. Just to make the workday more fun. Hmm.....
Penny Arcade did a comic of the aforementioned Chore Wars that pretty much embodies Dawn's approach.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/07/20
Post a Comment