The opening act was a two man band from Northern Ireland called Oppenheimer. One guy was the drummer and lead singer. The other guy did everything else, which is to say, played guitar, triggered sequenced tracks and messed around with two keyboards/synthesizers, and occasional vocals. He was a very busy guy. The music sounded a little like Freezepop to me. My favorite part of the show was when they worked an air horn into one of the songs. As the drummed pulled the air horn the guitarist flipped his guitar over so we could read a sheet of paper taped to the back of his guitar that read “Air Horn Solo.” Overall, it was fun and energetic opening act….but not more fun and energetic than the last opening ac t we saw at a TMBG concert: Corn-mo. Corn-mo sets the opening act bar for fun and energy almost unattainably high.
The Giants themselves were in good form. At first they looked like they weren’t into the show that much. Flansburgh said that this was their sixth consecutive concert in as many days and they were in a daze. But after a couple of songs the band seemed to get really engaged and start having fun. They have a new drummer since the last time I saw them and he seemed really happy to be there. He smiled the whole way through the show.
I was pleased with their set list. It was a pretty eclectic sampling from their body of work. They played "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal," which I don’t think I’ve heard them play live before. They played a smattering of stuff off Apollo 18 (I Palindrome I!!!) and Flood, as well as some newer songs off of The Spine and The Else. They even played some of the children songs off of Here Come the ABCs and Here Come the 123s…but with decidedly non-child safe intro’s.
No comments:
Post a Comment