Just got back from Spice of India, which is to say, I’m now completely gorged with awesome Indian food. I’m prepared to say that what goes on in their kitchens is not culinary science and it is not culinary art. It is nothing short of culinary magic.
Case in point, today I had deep fried spinach. If you were to have come to me and asked me if it was possible to deep fry spinach I would have cited the high moisture content of spinach and delicate nature of the leaves as reasons it would probably not be worth trying. And yet today I had deep fried spinach, and verily it was good. No, it was great.
In addition to tasting delicious, the spinach offered me something more. It has expanded my mental culinary map. By instantiating an instance of an impossible (or at least improbable) food item with a concrete flavor and texture profile it has opened up previously inaccessible adjacent foodstuffs in the culinary landscape of my mind. Whereas before my mental map would have indicated “thar be dragons,” I can now imagine what a completely deep fried salad would taste like. Let me confide in you that it would taste awesome. (It would also be the biggest coup d’état to strike health food in recent history).
In addition to fried salad-stuffs, they also had egg curry on the buffet today. In a delectable curry sauce were floating whole hard boiled eggs. It was like a vat of homing-beacon orbs set out to lead Dawns to the Promised Land…
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment