Thursday, May 1, 2008

Because I still bother to update my blog…

I’ve decided to sit Twitter out for the time being. I can’t really wrap my head around it. It seems to fit somewhere between blog and instant messenger. For people who want to broadcast their thoughts to the masses….but don’t want to spend time refining them or going into detail. I see it as lazy blogging. As such, I expect people will mostly get bored with it (or too lazy) and move on to something new in about a year. I can wait it out….or at least wait long enough to start using it so I don’t feel bad for eating my words.

That being said, I have been thinking about Twitter a lot lately. I’ve decided that I’m going to sit it out….but I’m not so sure about Riblet. I’ve been playing around with the idea of finding some cheap wireless home security sensors and setting them up so when Riblet trips them during the day it will automatically post messages to Riblet’s Twitter feed. I think would be interesting to see what she does during the day, by proxy. We’d have a loose idea of how much she does or doesn’t move around during the day (I have my suspicions it’s not much). Set up some motion sensors around her food bowl, favorite nap spots, (litter box), and let the inane twitter messages start flying. I bet her Twitter feed could be every bit as inane as some of the more compulsive feeds where people inform the masses of their important daily decisions such as sandwich condiment choices.

I’m not sure I’ll actually go through with it. I find to be a startling glimpse of how I wish I could spend my free time though….tracking my cat through an abuse of technology. Right now I just enjoy thinking about it; I enjoy planning how I would set up my hypothetical Riblet Twitter infrastructure.

Of course, giving Riblet an audience and a forum on the internet could be a dangerous misstep. Her world domination plots (she’s very alpha cat) and inside expansion plans (she doesn’t like the outside) are but thinly veiled as it is. Once she’s acquired a following there’s no telling how she’d parlay that into an Amazon wish list and then an eventual coup.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic idea. I'd use it so I can find out if my cats did anything they weren't supposed to while I'm sleeping or on vacation. If they deny it, I will read their Twitters to them, and then punish 'em for lying.

ThinkGeek had some motion sensors that communicated wirelessly with each other, but I would have no clue how you would get them to twitter things.

Andrea said...

I think this is a fabulous plan! If you get it to work, I will be a devoted follower.