Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday Revelations

I tried to write a blog about how great on demand programming over the internet is. It came off way to preachy so I deleted it. Let me hit the high points minus all the pontification (I’m talking paragraphs of anti-cable company vitriol). Dawn and I have started using the NetFlix video on demand feature. It comes free if you already have a NetFlix account. No, they don’t have very much of their selection available yet. The quality if pretty great considering what it is and this sort of technology ought to have the cable companies quaking in their boots. People are deciding what they want to watch, when they want to watch it, without needing a cable company in the loop (unless you get your internet via cable companies). At the very least it reduces cable companies to simple ISPs. Oh – and there are no ads involved (yet). Imagine paying a subscription for something and just getting tasty tasty content minus ads. Seems too good to be true (I’m looking at you cable).

Moving onto other random items that deserve our attention. After much head scratching this weekend I consulted a dictionary to see if ravel was actually a word. The subject came up while Dawn and I were discussing something that was un-unravel-able. We were wondering if the two un’s would cancel themselves out…which begged the question is ravel actually a word on its own or not. I could not remember ever hearing someone ravel something up. Turns out it is a word and it means exactly what you’d think it means, which is to say not the same thing as un-unravel-able.

Also corn dogs, or corn dog bites to be exact, make awesome garnishes for glasses of Guinness. Cut a small slice in your corn dog bite and sit it on the rim of the glass. Grok it and teach your kinfolk – it’s what the masses demand but they don’t know it yet.

No comments: