Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mission to Memphis

Our mission to Memphis was a success. Prior to this trip I must say I knew relatively little about Memphis Tennessee. I knew it had ribs, a lot of Elvis Presley nuts, and some civil rights history. Now that I have journeyed deep into the heart of the city and learned its secrets I have a better appreciation for it. I now understand that their tourism campaign is a sham, a wrong-headed attempt to attract visitors with the promise of good music and culture. They are at best some of the lesser merits of the city and I doubt few will fall for its siren call. The city’s true nature, which it revealed to me, and about which their tourism campaign should be molded is: Memphis – Beer and Eggs Benedict Capitol of the South.

I trust that you’ll recognize the awesome power of the new Memphis slogan. Even now, upon reading the words for the first time, you’ll feel yourself drawn to the epicenter of finely crafted beers and eggs benedict. No matter what the country of origin and/or style you prefer your beer or what restful bed you prefer for your poached eggs (crab, asparagus, steak, etc)… Memphis has you covered. Come, visit, and be engorged.

Apart from Memphis’ obvious charms (listed above) let me run down some of the other fun things we did while we were in town. Charles Vergo’s Rendezvous ribs, check. Beale Street during the day, check. Beale Street at night, check. Gibson Guitar factory, check. Wine and Quiche Bar, check (there is a good reason Southern Living profiled their cheesecakes). Video games, check.

Add in wine and cheese and a few home cooked meals and I think you’ll understand how Memphis left us stuffed, satiated, and content.

No comments: