I feel like this blog has reached a certain rhythm. I write updates about grilling, coffee plants, random tech item. The next week I write updates about grilling, coffee plants, random tech item. It really struck me as I tried to write another coffee plant update this morning. I suppose that’s the rhythm of the interesting things going on in my life, once you filter out all the work, school, and mundane-ness.Enough self introspection. If the interesting things in my life result in roasted meats and coffee I’ve got to be doing something right. On to the coffee plant update!
This week was the start of the big coffee harvest….six of the ripest coffee cherries were selected and picked. There’s nothing like the feeling of coming in from the field after a hard day of harvesting. Especially when the field is in your dining room and you can harvest in your pajamas while drinking a cup of coffee. Maybe farm living is the life for me (hat tip Green Acres).
Dawn and I decided to cut one of the cherries open to experience coffee fruit. The website wasn’t lying when it said the fruit was intensely sweet. It was. But I now know why coffee is grown for its beans and not for the fruit. There is hardly any fruit to speak of. It’s more of a sweet tasting membrane between the red skin and the bean than fruit. The inside is pretty much all bean. Growing coffee for the sweet fruit is probably akin to growing honeysuckle for the huge nectar harvest.
Of course with all the excitement of the coffee harvest Riblet was on hand to inspect the yield. After all she’s the one who spends her days sitting amongst the trees whispering encouraging threats.

1 comment:
Man, the suspense is killing me. This is going to be one wicked tablespoon of coffee!
Post a Comment