Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's where I'll hang my hat.

Besides LED Christmas lights I’ve been on another quest lately. I want my office to have a coat rack. You know, one of the free standing coat trees. Besides holding winter coats, I like to keep a blazer in my office to slip on if I get chilly. As the temperature starts to dip it puts me in mind that I should figure out how to elegantly store my coats (over the back of my chair does not cut it).

In my old office I installed a pair of hooks on the wall, but that solution was suboptimal. I usually have two coats for myself (overcoat and aforementioned blazer) and now with two assistants it safe to say that there will be coats aplenty here soon. We’ll need a coat tree.

At first I didn’t think it would be hard to find an unused coat tree. I figured how many foppish people can work in the building? I assumed someone had inherited one with an old office and never used it. Not so! People with coat trees hoard them greedily. I’ve been told the proper order of things is to wait for someone to retire and swoop in and steal their coat tree and other valuables while they’re still packing the belongings into a box.

I’ve even searched surplus for an extra coat tree. That was a fun adventure. There is a building were excess junk ends up. Anyone can go there and dig through it. I found all sorts of broken chairs, mangled filing cabinets, and an impressive computer graveyard. If you need an old school computer where the monitor was part of the system AND had a tape drive….well I would recommend searching there. If you want a coat tree…don’t bother.

I’m starting to think the only way I’m going to get a coat tree in the near future is to go out and buy one. I’ve started looking on line and discussing the prospects with coworkers….they don’t seem to share my enthusiasm. We’ll see who’s sorry when winter comes and they have no place to hang their blazers…

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Atlee and I had a wonderful coat tree when we were apartment dwellers and I am stuck wondering did we leave it in the apartment when we moved?

I hope this is not rude...but I find myself reading all the blogs lately and would like you guys to email me Dawn's Blog address.

Dawn said...

I totally ganked mine from the office of a recently retired researcher. Along with my printer, chair, filing cabinet, etcetera.

http://hopeandprey.livejournal.com/

I don't update as often as Bill and I swear a lot.

Unknown said...

I searched and searched when I was on this same quest. My quest ended at a Target Super Center. I still like the hat tree. It holds chef jackets and aprons in the kitchen.

Bill said...

I've already tried the Super Target up here. I looked all over the store and could not find one. Then I asked an employee and he stared at me like I was speeking esperanto then directed me to not-a-coat tree.