Recently Porsche and Poggenpohl (which appears to be a well established German furniture brand) have announced a “man kitchen.”

So this is what they came up for a kitchen “especially designed for men.” They haven’t released any real specifics yet except for the man-centric kitchen contains “no-handle cabinets, aluminum finishes, hi-tech A/V system.”
I like the use of lighting. In my opinion too many kitchens don’t pay enough attention to lighting. It’s the one room where you’re routinely going to be handling sharp objects and trying to ascertain how well something is cooked. Shadows are not invited; you want to be able to see what’s going on. Besides being utilitarian the lighting does well to accent the design.
I’m not sure that kitchen offers enough storage for my tastes. Doesn’t Porsche know that in addition to multiple sets of cookware (cast iron, nonstick, stainless steel) the modern man is going to want to have multiple sets of plates and glassware to best present the dish? I assume some of those bottom cabinets house a stove, oven, and dishwasher….so there isn’t a lot of storage there.
I’ll admit that I like the somewhat austere design, I don’t know if that has to do with being a man or just liking more contemporary design than the god-awful country kitchen that shoved into most of the houses I can afford.
1 comment:
I had no idea my sex hated cabinet handles. Do you just open them with a swift punch and let rebound do the rest?
Post a Comment