The time to act is now. If we want to be able to spin a credible story later that will cause your children to question their fundamental grasp of reality we need to start work right away. I think the important thing is to take photos, give gifts, and orchestrate situations that we can later point to as proof of our claims. Obviously the first task is constructing what elaborate lie we plan to feed to your children. So what would completely devastate a child? Claims of being adopted are traditional but ring hollow…if anyone’s had a good childhood why should they care if they’ve been adopted? If anything the implicit message in the scenario is your parents love you. Hardly the stuff of nightmares. Your parents abducted you? That’s a bit more interesting….perhaps your parents are the monsters you’ve always suspected when you’ve been forced to take that time-out in your room. Maybe things aren’t as they seem….and now the nice friends of the family, burdened by their conscious, have started providing you with hints of your true identity. Delectable.
Dawn suggested collecting baby photos and PhotoShopping them into earlier photos of the parents on vacation, thus creating evidence for the “you’re not their first child” story. Being that Dawn is an aficionado of sci-fi she opted for a very Venture Brothers, “you’re a clone” theme to the story. I like it. I’m not sure how to augment the photos with other types of proof though. Perhaps getting the children to acknowledge that they’re clumsy is all the extra evidence we’ll need.
That’s all I have for right now…it wasn’t that long of a car ride into work. Perhaps we can hash out other ways to force your children to question their origins over lunch.

7 comments:
I like the Philip K. Dick slant Dawn proposes. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
So I don't get it. You're for no one having kids?
I’m not for no one having kids… I just don’t want to directly have to interface with kids. If I do end up having to interface with kids I ought to get something out of it… In this instance, I would get the satisfaction of making them question their preconceptions. Which is exactly what a good artist does. Perhaps I’m an artist.
Clone has the same problem as adoption. There would be lots of advantages to having a clone. Going out on blind dates for you, standing in line at the DMV. Unless of course, they were the chore clone. Now that would suck. I reccomend vague statements that they are the "chosen one". Over time,. the chosen one might be a good or bad thing based on the hints you drop. Also, I could use it to my advantage. Ruby - "I don't want to do my math homework." Me - "I would think a 'chosen one' such as yourself would have no problem with that."
I think the moment we’re shooting for is when you find out you’re a clone….the moment when you realize that you’re not a special individual but a carbon copy….and there have been others like you before. That has to be a creepy moment…..after that I agree with you that being a clone might have some advantages. That’s why I like the “you were abducted” story line. It’s a bit darker. Plus it paints the parents as probable criminals instead of super-geniuses.
Bill Parenting Tip: It’s never too early to tell your child that they are a clone. That way they will think you’re a super genius.
I think you just went straight past crumedgeon to evil mastermind. Congratulations.
Andrea
P.S. Remind me not to ever bring Tabitha near you or Dawn, just in case her warnings of trying baby meat weren't enough
Andrea
Post a Comment