Fortunately I’m not alone. There are other maladjusted people out there. I was greatly relieved when I first discovered Alton Brown. It’s nice to know that in the pantheon of Food Network smiling charismatic chefs, there was room for an OCD geek cook. Huzzah.
I also recently ran across my man Amir. Amir also owns a Stoker automatic temperature control system for his grill. One of the really cool things about the Stoker is the ethernet port which allows you to monitor its progress over the internet. Amir realized that if you can monitor the Stoker in real time, then you can write a data acquisition program to log and analyze your grilling experience! Did you feel that? If you’re like me you might have felt a bit of a shiver when you read that. Goosebumps rise on your arms? Oh yeah, we’re totally going to geek out on this.
Amir has made his program publicly available and I can’t wait to install and test it out at home. In addition to simply logging Stoker data, his program uses regression analysis to try and predict when food will reach its target temperature. That sounds pretty cool; I wonder how accurate it really is? It also makes graphs….GRAPHS. Not only will I be able to cook tasty food over absurdly long stretches of time (and maybe know when it will be done with some degree of certainty), I’ll be able to look at the graph of the food’s thermal history while I’m eating it!
1 comment:
It's reasons like this I'm glad we got you the Stoker instead of the BBQ Guru set. The BBQ Guru set wouldn't have allowed your eating experience to be magnified tenfold by reviewing the food's thermal history while savoring it's flavor.
Post a Comment