I really like my job. It features low stress, a great boss who always seems to be looking out for my best interests, and completely 100% pays for school (and I’m not talking about that we’ll reimburse you later crap either). One of my job perks is an honest to god office instead of a cube. How many offices can boast 30 foot ceilings? Mine can.For the most part I’ve had the office all to myself for the last year. A couple of months ago I got a student assistant who now shares the office with me. There is plenty of room for two people so I’ve had no complaints.
Yesterday I found out that I’m getting a second student. There was a young but exceptionally promising candidate that my boss decided he wanted to snatch up. Being that his interest is in software he’s being assigned to me. I’ll now have two of the youngest, and arguably brightest, employees our center has.
When notified about the addition I raised an eyebrow as I tried to figure out how to add a third person to my office. There is room, but I might have to lower my standard of personal workspace luxury. Currently my personal setup consists of four monitors and two desks. I personally consume three of the four available network jacks in the room.
I commented about having to consolidate my swank pad in order to make room for the new guy. My boss raised his eyebrow and suggested that instead I just get a bigger office. The ceilings won’t be 30 feet high but there will be a window. I’ll actually have room to expand my personal workspace (which is probably a bad idea, right now it borders on ridiculous) and have room for a couple of minions. Things just keep coming up Bill. I pointed out that the new office only had four network drops, obviously not enough for three people if one of them is consuming three of them. I was told not to worry; we’d get some more installed.
The really funny part is there are already people in the proposed new office, three of them. The plan is for us to simply switch offices. So while my current office to too small for me and the minions my boss deems it the right size for them. Awesome.
2 comments:
Maybe your boss intends to place even more people under you and doesn't want you to change offices again. Which is good, because every evil genious needs plenty of minions.
If you had three, you could randomly yell "Minions, HUMAN PYRAMID!" Until then, you'll have to stick with demanding blood feuds.
Post a Comment