Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Got Your Fountain of Youth Right Here...

After my misstep with an automatic your mother joke I've been on good behavior. I've been careful and have successfully not spouted out anything nonsensical or insulting (at work). The nonsensical stuff is definitely harder to keep at bay. The spoonerisms are returning.

I did, however, say something that dated me. I can't remember what it was, but the youngest of the minions caught it and decided to ask how old I was. Normally I love this game. Actually the game I love is "guess how old my wife is." That game never gets old. It works best if Dawn is in the room. The victim struggles with being accurate and flattering. I assume they try and pick an age that errs on the side of flattering. They always overshoot Dawn's actual age. Dawn is insulted, Dawn in turns insults the victim, everyone wins. Well actually, only I win. I guess that why I like the game so much.

I go ahead and ask the minion to guess my age. He guesses 26-27. He might be attempting flattery. I tell him I'm actually 30. I think I see a mild look of surprise on his face....perhaps he wasn't trying to flatter me.....or perhaps he's really good at it.

More inane discussion passes. I point out that I'm probably a young 30. He replies "you really can't be that old if you're still making your mother jokes." So that must be it. I have discovered the fountain of youth! The fountain of youth is simply immaturity and irreverence. If that be the case, then I might live forever....with your mother.

1 comment:

Garçonova said...

The historians have it all wrong: Ponce de León just happened to stumble across what is now Florida when he was questing for your mother.