Monday, August 27, 2007

Too Much Art at Work

Sorry I missed a post on Friday. While, I am no way contractually obligated to post everyday, I like to try to post often. I just got a new computer at work, so I've been busy moving everything over and setting up shop. It's a Vista machine, so I anxiously await finding out what doesn't work on it. I'm still missing a few key software packages on it (where is my Microsoft Office and Photoshop?)

Overall getting settled into my new office has been going well. My minions are starting to hit their strides and produce some quality work. There is one danger I have to readjust to though. For a long time I've worked mostly by myself, which meant I didn't have to completely switch into my "work persona" everyday. Now I pretty much have to if I want to maintain the appearance of professionalism at work.

There was a crack in the persona on Friday. I was under a bit of stress trying to solve a critical problem in my project. Most of my mental power was focused on that....leaving whatever semi-conscious bit of my brain that there are to stray and cause trouble. One of the minions was evidently talking about some cookies that got brought into the office, he said something along the lines of "I've got dibs on that cookie." Automatically I responded "yeah? Well I've got dibs on your mother."

I actually didn't even know I said it until after the fact. Dawn and I make a lot of "your mother" jokes at home. We aspire toward art in our crafting of fine your mother jokes. I was not aware that the "your mother joke parser" was now so deeply ingrained in my head. I guess there is just a tenuous conscious filter that prevents me from sharing my art with the world.

Must remember not to share art at work....

No comments: