Not much of a weekend on my end. Friday night, work on project. Saturday morning, work on project. Saturday afternoon, study. Sunday morning, study. Sunday afternoon, study. Sunday evening, install bookshelf components one and two…oh, then study some more.
The missing gap, of course, is Saturday evening. Saturday evening was the fun part of the weekend. Dawn and I went out to dinner at Surin, had dessert at Sweet Dreams, and then caught a jazz show at the Flying Monkey. I forgot to bring LactAid along so I didn’t get to have any dessert per say, but I did get to have an espresso. The tiny little cups are so cute. They make me feel like a giant.
The jazz show was a surprising treat. It was originally billed as a Hot Club of Huntsville show. The Hot Club of Huntsville is the local gypsy jazz group that recreates the sounds of the Django Reinhardt’s and Stephane Grappelli’s quintet the Hot Club of Paris (circa 1930’s). Since we’ve moved back I’ve been flabbergasted (and thrilled) that Huntsville has its own gypsy jazz band.
This Saturday however they really weren’t the Hot Club of Huntsville. Only two of the band’s members were able to make it to the show, so they reformulated the band as a swing jazz band by adding a couple of guest members. There was an arch-top electric jazz guitar player and a percussionist (drummer). The results were very pleasing, even if you could tell that the guys weren’t used to playing together. I actually thought it was kind of fun watching them explain to each other what they were about to attempt to play. That’s the sort of stuff that really separates the experience of hearing live music from listening to a studio recording.
As an extra special bonus they invited the vocalist from Dawn’s favorite local band Majestika to accompany them for a couple of songs. The resulting sounds were truly awesome. Unfortunately the vocalist was recovering from laryngitis so she only had about three songs in her (and she looked like she struggled through the last one). I would be very excited to go out and see a show where all members were where in full force. I think it would be an absolutely electrifying jazz show.
As I mentioned at the top, I got two (out of four) parts of Dawn’s bookshelves mounted to the wall last night. The third one is sitting there ready to be mounted as well, I just ran out of drive before I could get around to it. The project is coming to a slow but inevitable conclusion.
I was never able to complete my studying to my satisfaction. I have a test tonight and I hate going into it knowing I’m weak in a certain area. However, my brain is bedeviled. Anyone who is able to make sense of the how the existential elimination works in this slide, before 5:00 pm tonight, drop me a line…
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"The third one is sitting there ready to be mounted as well, I just ran out of drive before I could get around to it."
Teehee. You'd think that would be "the enjoyable part."
Sorry, kinda punch drunk from my own weekend of work. Been working weekends for a while now, and it's making me loopy.
Post a Comment