Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The horror.

Perhaps it’s a lack of passion, a lack of social conscious, or a lack of idealism, but I’ve never been one to get involved in protests. At best I’m usually ambivalent about such endeavors, at worse I might roll my eyes. I’ve always assumed that the true value of a protest is that the protesters get to feel like they are doing something, not necessarily that the protest actually gets anything done. So I guess they empower but not accomplish.

Well the restaurateurs in Israel have concocted a protest that I would sit up and take notice of. Restaurants in Israel are taking spring rolls off their menus as a form of protest against their government. Why you might ask? Evidently we’re not the only government with stupid immigration laws. According to the Gadling blog, “work permits for Asian chefs are being cut, and next year the government decided that it will not grant any new permits.” So to bring pressure on the government to change their stance, restaurateurs are systematically starting to deprive Israelis of Asian food. The horror! Right now it’s just spring rolls, but they are already threatening to expand it to noodles and sushi.

The restaurateurs are hoping it will provoke people to petition the government. The government sees this as an opportunity to train more Israelis as specialist chefs. All I know is I would be pissed, probably at both parties. Not to mention the Dawns, have they even considered the Dawns? Hungry, angry Dawns ravaging the country-side, looking for unagi. I’m glad the U.S. hasn’t tried some sort of sushi embargo….I’m positive people would get hurt.

No comments: