Don’t you think Christmas gifts are best kept as surprises? I prefer to have no idea what my gifts may or may not be. Before you carefully peel back the wrapping paper (and fold it neatly) anything could be in the box. This is why I was so conflicted about asking Dawn if she’d like a particular item for Christmas.I found an item that she might really like to have… or she might think is completely stupid. I could see how she could form one opinion or the other. Unfortunately it was a bit too expensive just to buy and hope for the best. I wanted to be sure she would like it. So I came clean and asked. She indicated that she would be very receptive to the gift. Which is great….or maybe it’s not. I’m not sure. All I know is that I’ve robbed her of one Christmas surprise. I suppose I’ll have to buy her an extra gift to make up for that.
2 comments:
I agree that the element of suprise is more than half of the fun of opening gifts. My parents use to do things like wrap clothing in cardboard tubes just so we wouldn't be able to figure it out. Although one year he wrapped a leather jacket for my mom in a cardboard tube and it ruined it -- so many wrinkles it was never the same. It really didn't deter my family from keeping presents a secret though. However, one thought ... in addition to getting Dawn an extra present (let's face it, that is never a bad idea), you might consider a small treasure hunt for the gift she already knows about. That way, it would still be fun.
By the way, completly off subject .. I was just watching Alton Brown and he put a skirt steak on the charcoal. Maybe you didn't get that ... ON THE CHARCOAL! Is he crazy? He said it avoids flare-ups. Have you ever tried that? It sounds gross, but it looked good.
I think I've seen that episode of Good Eats and came to the same conclusion. AB is crazy.
In the show he explains why your steak is not going to be covered in grit and ash....but I don't believe him.
Post a Comment