Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What's Riblet's Bean Doing?

I guess all of Riblet’s plantation work is starting to pay off. This weekend I was shocked to check out the coffee plants and see that one of the beans is changing color. I’ve had the coffee plants for years and this is the first year they’ve ever bloomed. I was really surprised to see that after blooming they started to bear fruit, did Riblet pollinate them with her tail?

The green beans have been on the plants for months now, I have no idea what is considered the normal amount of time for them to grow. I’ve been told that they would eventually turn red and that would mean it’s getting close to harvesting time. I have absolutely no idea how I get the red fruit off the seeds. Basically I’m coffee clueless.

I suppose there is the very real possibility that I might get to collect a few beans this year and roast them (that I do know how to do). Then I might get to drink what will probably the worst half a cup of coffee known to man. I figure if coffee characteristics are determined by growing environment, then my dining room is probably pretty far down on the list of desirable coffee growing environments.

Still it’s all kind of fun and exciting. I recommend that everyone take five or so years and try it out for themselves.

2 comments:

Griner said...

I look forward to hearing about the complex flavors and subtle undertones of Cafe Sabados de Indianalabama.

Bill said...

Tasting Notes: The red clay and cat fur flavors are very forward, however there is a subtle but distinctive corn finish.