Where the heck did the weekend go? It doesn’t seem like I got much done this last weekend. I remember prepping some pork wellington, going to a party, and working on the book shelves…but that doesn’t seem like enough memories to fill an entire weekend.
I made a bit more progress on the bookshelves. It doesn’t seem like I got a whole lot accomplished in the big picture. I think I got sucked into one of those steps that get mentally glossed over when planning. Cutting the wood gets a lot of time budgeted for it, assembling the pieces gets time…and in between those two I’ll quickly make sure everything is sanded. Sanding takes time…and how. So I got a lot of sanding done and started boxing in the smaller shelves.
Dawn and I visited Lowes again this weekend. We just needed to pick up some extra stripping compound (Dawn is stripping our bar stools so she can re-stain them to match the house). We decided to make the trip a little bit more dangerous by bringing some dishes along with us. We’ve been toying with the idea of getting a new dish washer. We really wanted to get one of the new fangled dishwashers that are really two drawer dishwashers. However after eyeing the floor models in the store we’ve been worried that they don’t offer enough vertical space to wash our larger plates. We bought a couple of dishes along to see how they fit in various models. The two drawer dishwasher got knocked out of the running. A KitchenAid model is now in first place. Great we got the unit picked out. That’s step one down the dangerous path of purchasing.
While we were there we decided to talk to one of the helpful employees about new counter tops. He gave us the Lowes spill, which is basically, “You don’t really want granite.” He was very helpful and laid out all the small steps we would have to take in order to find out how much they would really and truly cost.
More and more it looks like next year is going to be a choice between Scotland and kitchen.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've had the distinct pleasure of helping a friend put granite countertops in his kitchen. We started with slabs of granite purchased at a home builder surplus store and used a table saw to cut the pieces while running water over the blade. It can be an arduous process, but doing it yourself can be a great deal cheaper than going through a contractor.
Post a Comment