Of course there is also the added bonus of getting to change the locks at the same time. We didn’t change the locks when we moved into the house. From all neighbor accounts the previous owner’s ex-wife is a raving lunatic. It nice to know that there is now 0% chance of finding her (or the previous own for that matter) in the house one day because they discovered an old key and decided to take a look.
At Lowes I got a really helpful employee who claimed he used to be a locksmith. He dropped some door knob related knowledge that I suspect Dawn and I would have learned the hard way. Namely, that the door knob manufacture we were looking at made their knobs such that they turn freely on the inside even when locked. Meaning you can lock the door then come back later and freely open the door and then close it behind you only to discover you just locked yourself out. He recommended using the passive door knobs below and relying on the deadbolts for actual security. The upshot is you actually have to use a key to lock the door….so you can never lock yourself out.
Replacing the locks was a breeze, although I did have to drill a new hole in our front door for the new fancy handle. I had a little bit of trepidation on that count. It’s not like you can un-drill a hole in a steel door… or even really patch it. It’s pretty much new door time. However, measure 57 times and drill once seemed to work out in the end.One of the cool side benefits of replacing the locks is the knowledge that I actually made it tougher to kick down our doors. I don’t actually know anyone who has had their place broken into by a master thief who picked the locks. I do know of a couple of situations where someone simply kicked in the door. The fancy lock doesn’t really help if someone kicks the door. The point that fails is the metal bracket attached to the doorframe that the deadbolt slides into. That metal bracket wasn’t being held on by much with the older locks. Check out how much beefier the new screws are that hold the bracket on.

Of course now that we have pretty new exterior door knobs they just make the interior door knobs looks ugly. The exterior ones are brushed satin nickel finish, the interior ones are crappy cheapo brass finish. Looks like I need to find a contractor pack of nickel door knobs so I can go through the house and replace the all of the other knobs.
4 comments:
Oooo! Pretty! I've been wanting to get rid of our nasty door handles, too, and replace them with similar shiny silver ones. But I've been intimidated. You truly are an inspiration!
Argh! You have thwarted my master plans of kicking down your front door ...
Your plans may be thwarted but I am intrigued. Pray tell what were your dastardly intentions once you made it through the door?
Well, once I had drugged Riblet (she would only curse at me, try to dominate me -- way too much to deal with) I was going to move things around, not enough that you would notice at first, just enough so that you would notice things every few days -- a picture askew, a toothbrush two inches from where it was supposed to be, books in a different order, stuff like that. Just to mess with your head :)
Wait a minute ... I forgot who I was dealing with. I'm sure you would notice a picture askew within seconds. At least it would give you a reason to bring out the laser level.
Post a Comment