Friday, April 25, 2008

A crinkle in the night

I got a wireless guitar controller for Rock Band earlier this week. I haven’t had the time to turn my Xbox on in more than two weeks…but I miss it dearly. Surely once I’m done with my last final (one down, one to go) I’ll be able to fire it up and give it some much deserved attention.

Amazon sent the wireless guitar in a ridiculously oversized box. To keep it from freely roaming around the ample interior of the cardboard cavern they filled the box with brown paper. To be exact, they filled it with a single sheet of brown paper. The monstrous sheet was coiled upon itself many times over. As I pulled the seemingly never ending spool of brown crinkly paper out of the box Riblet’s eye grew wide with excitement. So much crinkly paper. So much crinkle.

As a treat I deposited the mass of brown crinkly paper of the corner of the room. Every evening Riblet makes a journey into the center of the pile and claims her throne in the center of Mount Crinkle. From there she surveys the room while gently shifting right to left to generate the sonorous sounds of crinkle that delight her feline brain so. Then comes the freak out. Eventually the crinkle fires one too many synapses for her tiny cat brain to handle and she explodes out of the center of Mount Crinkle. Races from the room at maximum Riblet speed….only to return moments later.

I don’t understand any of it but it seems to bring her some measure of joy. Therefore I’ll be throwing the paper out this weekend.

3 comments:

Griner said...

Cleo loves those things. No matter how crunched up they are, she literally pressed them until they're flat as sheet metal. Then we crush it back together, and her joy begins anew. We usually give three flattens or so before we toss it.

Bill said...

Riblet just crinkles the paper, she doesn't flatten. If you drop a plastic grocery bag on the floor however.... that's a different story. Come back an hour later and it will look like someone ironed it.

Unknown said...

That is far too cute. Our newer cat is very into getting into paper bags anytime she gets the opportunity.