Now I have all the more reason to look forward to May, because I snagged Dawn and myself some tickets to This American Life Live. I’m sure most of you are familiar with the fun and quirky NPR radio show This American Life. This May 1st they’re trying out an experiment - they are going to do a live show in New York City and broadcast it live to movie theaters around the country via satellite. So while the show will be live (or just a few seconds delayed from live) I won’t actually be in the same room with Ira Glass. Going to the movie theater to watch a radio show is a strange concept…. and so very This American Life.
The good news is there are exactly two movie theaters participating in Alabama: the Hollywood 18 in Huntsville and the Trussville 16 in Birmingham. The bad news is they are movie theaters - and not the posh fancy-smancy movie theaters that serve martinis and appetizers during the show either (I like the Monaco movie theater concept better than the overly buttered popcorn and kids at the show variety). Still I think it may be worth toughing it out for one night to see if a radio show transmitted to a movie theater in high definition and Cinema Surround Sound is any better than a radio show transmitted to a cheap clock radio. If nothing else I’m kind of curious to see what other sorts of characters will show up to watch the show. It’s like Huntsville has finally deduced the correct bait to attract and trap eclectic individuals in one place.
If you’re interested in more information you might want to look here.
No comments:
Post a Comment