The GUI frontend I use for the LaTeX typesetting engine (pronounced “la-tec” no matter what Dawn says) is called WinShell. LaTeX is often used when you have to typeset a whole lot of math or logical symbols that Microsoft Word would simply choke on or fight you over. WinShell tries to provide some Microsoft Word comforts, such as spelling correction, to the harsh landscape that is LaTeX word processing. However, the suggested spelling correction it just recommended has left me scratching my head.

First off, I know WinShell’s spellchecker leaves a bit to be desired. As you can see it had already flagging “schemas” and “disjoined” which are both spelled correctly. I was trying to spell “dilemma.” I knew I had spelled it wrong…but I had assumed that I had gotten close enough. The list of suggested words for “delema” is truly strange.
Being that I’m looking for distractions from homework I had to go and figure out what the hell it had suggested instead. I just did a quick google search… so I won’t be surprised if I’ve missed other explanations for these words.
Telemann is a German Baroque music composer. Nope, that’s not what I wanted.
Madelena is a rare variation of the girl’s name Madeline. This is also not what I intended.
Delmar is any one of four U.S. towns in Delaware, Iowa, Maryland, New York. Del Mar means “of the sea” in Spanish….what’s Iowa doing with a Delmar?
Telemachus is the son of Odysseys and Penelope. I’m doing Formal Methods homework…and I don’t think I’ve strayed that far from the subject at hand…so I probably don’t want this one.
Google claims that Zulema is a black female R&B singer. I prefer to think of it in the context of “there is only Zulema.”
Wow, none of those are even close to what I wanted. Thanks a lot WinShell.
No comments:
Post a Comment