Thursday, April 24, 2008

The nerd is strong with this one...

I have no qualms about the fact that I’m a nerd. I’m comfortable with the situation. However, occasionally I surprise even myself with how absolutely unabashedly nerdy I can be.

Case in point, there is a design blog that I like to read (to keep my finger on the pulse of design). I really enjoy looking at unusually designed everyday items (furniture and such). Often I find the price tags laughable and the designs impractical, but occasionally there are some real gems featured. Recently there was a simple vase that used Braille to add detail and texture its surface. The design was clean, the price was good (as far items on this particular blog go, $87 is quite affordable), and there is attention to detail (the contents of the Braille are transcribed love letters.)




However, the first thing I saw when I viewed this image is not the vase. I thought to myself, “Whoa! Is that the Millennium Falcon in the bottom right corner?” Within a fraction of a second I mentally confirmed the ship’s identification and further concluded that it was in fact a Lego Millennium Falcon. Then I took notice of the vase. The series of events was instant and compulsory. I was left with the following observation - whatever level of interest I confess to have for interior design….I must concede that the roots of my nerd persona are older, deeper, and better established at the subconscious level.

No comments: