Occasionally you run across a hack or mod that is genius due to its pure simplicity. Recently, Evil Mad Scientist blog (yes it’s a real blog, and yes, I read it) featured such a modification. It’s usb flash drive that looks like a severed cable hanging from your computer!

The blog has step-by-step instructions on how to make it. The short version is to find one of the new super compact flash drives (I already have one) and mount it on the inside of a traditional usb connector.
The ability to hide memory in usb connectors strikes me as a devilishly clever concept. Especially if you hide the memory in a not-conspicuous severed cable, but say, a laptop mouse connector. That is assuming you’re trying to smuggle data without people knowing about it.
Of course the severed cable just looks cool. Perhaps I’ll build one then try to convince less computer savvy people that the frayed cable interfaces with the “Google Cloud.” When you drag the files onto it the bits run down the cable and out into the ether….
No comments:
Post a Comment