According to engadget there is a bill that is being introduced into the House of Representatives which would require hybrid cars to generate motor noise through an external speaker because they are too quiet. It would set the minimum noise a car can legally make. The concern is that quiet cars are a danger because they can sneak up on people.
If I had more time right now I’d probably start looking to see how many blind people have been mowed down by Priuses. Are quiet cars really a big problem? Obviously I’m not pro-running down blind people….but I am pro-silence. Simulated motor noise? That’s retarded.
People let’s start letting go of the trappings of the internal combustion engines. If anything the future is going to be full non-internal combustion engines. Let’s not have them all making a racket because that’s traditionally what cars used to do.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've heard that kind of idea before, and it always reminds me of those early car rules where the driver had to stop at four-ways, honk the horn and set off a flare so that approaching horses wouldn't be scared. (Apparently horses aren't nearly as bothered by flares and honking as they are by actual moving cars.)
Post a Comment